Isle of man Tour and Ilkley 2-day stage race
     
Prologue
     At the beginning of the month me and my team of Giant Halifax Race Team travelled across to the Isle of Man for what will most probably be our final year racing there after a 4-year tradition for myself. Unfortunately, the course profiles over the long bank holiday weekend weren’t the most exciting with a short prologue of around 2 minutes in length and then 2 very flat stages on the days after. The prologue went ok for me where I finished 42nd which wasn’t as high as I had hoped for but also wasn’t a poor performance either. The next stage I worked hard on the front and was in a few breaks and making attacks, but ultimately me and the rest of the team missed the winning break so had to chase very hard in an attempt to bring them back but couldn’t in the end. This was frustrating as I think me, and the rest of the team, had the legs to get a good result today but didn’t get it right tactically. On the final stage however we improved a huge amount as a team and raced it perfectly tactically with all of us getting in to key breaks mostly and managing to get team mate Tom Dussek in to the final winning break where he took 3rd in the sprint to finish 3rd on the stage and in a top 10 position overall. This was a great result and I was happy we managed to turn it round after not such a good ride by us the day before and it was topped off with Max and Jenson being up there in the bunch sprint also. I finished in the bunch on both stages but had a good weekend and learnt a lot about how to race flatter races for when I race Acht Van Bladel in Holland later this month. Overall it was a great weekend for the team!
Stage 3
Team presentation
   
2nd climb
     Just a few days after this I travelled to Belgium with South East cycling and John Barclay for a Belgian National interclub race which was a fantastic experience. The racing was brutal from the start with crashes everywhere which I thankfully avoided. I managed to finish 22nd which I was really pleased with as it was a huge improvement from my previous races in Belgium and a pretty high finishing position also. I tried to stay towards the front and out of trouble which I did successfully and got in a few breaks along the way also. After a hectic couple laps of the finishing circuit to start with, we took in a big loop which went up some bergs and most notably the Paterberg. I was in a good position for all of these but after the hard first hour or so of racing, a winning break of 5 slipped away after the 3rd climb and stayed away to the finish. On the Paterberg I was in around 15th position when a touch of wheels in front of me meant I had to double unclip and chase back on after the race split going up it. After chasing as hard as I could to ensure I stayed on I made it back to the main group and made sure I was always at the front after that. Just before we re entered the finishing circuit for the final 2 loops, there was one long flat section of cobbles which I went in to in 6th position. I hung on the wheel as best I could and buried myself more than I have ever done before and was very glad to stay up there and be in the front split as 8 of us got off the front of the group after this section. We came through in a chain gang but none of us had the legs to stay away unfortunately so we got caught and countered. We managed to catch this group with just a couple k’s to go but then it came to the sprint and I had nothing left so rolled in in the front split of around 20 in the main group to take 22nd at the finish. This was an absolutely brilliant experience that I really enjoyed and hope to do more of so thank you very much to John Barclay for the opportunity. I was really happy with my legs at this race and looking forward to hopefully doing more of the same in the future. A well done to Alex Haines and Finley Newmark also who did great rides also for South East cycling finishing in the front split of the main group also in 20th and 15th respectively!

Jersey winners
TTT
Yellow before the start
       A couple weeks later me, Max and Josh racing for Giant Halifax and Jenson racing for British Cycling Yorkshire Juniors raced at the Ilkley 2-day stage race in Yorkshire. This was a fairly local race for me and although only a Regional A 2/3/4 race, it was extremely hard and a great weekend of racing that I hope stays on the racing calendar in the years to come! Stage 1 started with a short prologue which was mainly downhill so was always going to be tough on junior gears and I finished a moderate 36th. I was however fairly pleased with this as I was unsure of my legs and thought I had done a lot worse than I did. The next stage was on the Saturday afternoon on the famous Penny Pot circuit which was more of a rolling course. I was pleased to get 2nd on this stage after not feeling so good early on so conserving energy where I could, and then breaking away with another Junior with around half a lap to go to finish ahead of the main bunch by around 30 seconds. I was unfortunately beaten in the uphill sprint to the finish as I just ultimately didn’t have the legs. This moved me up to 2nd overall going in to the 2nd day of racing. First up on the Sunday was a team time trial on again a mainly downhill course but me, Max and Josh managed to finish 3rd on the stage which was a great ride from us that we paced and executed really well on a course very much not suited to our gears. This moved me in to the overall lead and in to the yellow jersey going in to the final stage. Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep the jersey however and dropped down to 3rd overall after a 2-man break stayed away and gained a lead large enough to overhaul me. I had been aggressive early on but wasn’t 100% comfortable on a spare bike I had to ride as my gear cable snapped before the stage and was feeling tired after a hard previous 3 stages anyways. I was still in a good position with the break within a manageable distance when disaster struck and I punctured with a lap and a half to go. Thankfully I had my team mate Josh just behind me who selflessly gave me his bike so I didn’t have to wait for a spare wheel from neutral service and I managed to get back into the depleted main group. In this time however, the break gained an unassailable lead which lost me yellow. I still managed to chase a few attacks and keep a podium position overall but could do no more on the bike with the saddle height far too low for me. In staying 3rd overall however I got to win the juniors overall jersey which was great and made me feel a bit better. I owe a lot to my team mates for this weekend with Max doing a load of work on the front for me and Josh giving me his bike to try and keep me in yellow which resulted in him dropping out of the top 10 and us losing the team prize so it really was a selfless act. A brilliant weekend of racing none the less where I got to wear my first leaders jersey and giving me a bit of a confidence boost going in to a big block of junior nationals coming up in June.
      The weekend after this there was no racing for me, but I did my first time trial on my TT bike at the Holme Valley wheelers open 25. Me and my dad travelled over to Thirsk where I warmed up well and hit up the TT. I finished the 25 miles with a time of 58:40 which was an alright time that I was fairly happy with but also something that is still to be improved. The TT was a very flat course but had a really bad headwind out and therefore a strong tailwind back in. I pushed as hard as I could but my legs weren’t quite there today, so I didn’t go too well I felt but still achieved a decent time so it wasn’t all bad. I’m looking forward to doing a few more TT’s and some local 10s also to try and improve my time trialing but am pleased with the progress I have made in this area so far.
HVW 25
HVW 25
       











Ride on TT bike




Comments

Popular Posts